The Learning Assistance and Resource Center proudly embraces the values of West Chester University and remains committed to treating all members of our community with respect and dignity. Read the full WCU Values statement.
Weekly tutoring for spring 2024 starts On Mon, January 29th & ends on Fri, May 3rd.(NOTE: You can schedule your own appts by clicking on the green button below)
THE LEARNING ASSISTANCE AND RESOURCE CENTER
The Learning Assistance and Resource Center provides academic support through tutoring and academic success coaching services to promote independent and active learners at West Chester University.
To bring the Learning Assistance and Resource Center into the Digital Age, including more online tutoring and success coaching options, virtual staff assistance, and more online collaboration opportunities
To continue and develop on-campus partnerships with various academic and co-curricular units, faculty members, and offices to enhance student support
To be a model for best practices of tutoring and success coaching services through faculty, staff, and student research and to put theory into practice
To be implementing, evaluating, and assessing the methods to continuously improve the department services
Students will walk away from the Learning Assistance and Resource Center with one or more of the following:
The ability to apply learning strategies to promote their own student success in various disciplines
Leadership skills to be used in their future career and educational opportunities
Gain self-awareness through identifying personal strengths and building up areas of improvement
We want you to walk out of the LARC a little more confident than you walked in.
Important LARC Information
GREEN BUTTON: STARTING JANUARY 26TH, YOU CAN SCHEDULE YOUR OWN APPTS IN WC ONLINE.
PURPLE BUTTON: If you would like WEEKLY RECURRING (same day/time each week) please click on purple button and send an email to the LARC.
Tutoring starts the week of January 29th! You will be able to make your own appointments starting January 26th.
- All virtual Spring sessions take place in the tutor zoom link
- Spring 2024 Tutor Zoom Links
- All LARC services are free to students.
- The LARC will offer both in-person and virtual tutoring sessions for Spring 2024. Tutoring runs from 1/29-5/3. No tutoring March 9th-March 17th. Masks are optional at this time.
- All in-person sessions will take place in 224 Lawrence (except Music, which will be in Swope Music Library)
- Tutor Registration for Weekly, Recurring Sessions will open on (January 23rd). Make individual appointments here (starting date will be January 26th): https://wcupa.mywconline.net/
- Make weekly appointments by visiting the LARC in-person or virtually here: LARC@wcupa.edu
- Any question regards to tutoring should be directed to the LARC at LARC@WCUPA.EDU.
Any question regards to success coaching or Academic Success Workshops should be directed to Dr. Jocelyn Manigo at JManigo@WCUPA.EDU.
General questions can go to LARC@wcupa.edu.
- Students are responsible for canceling their own appointments. All students can cancel an individual appointment by logging onto WC Online.
- Students can cancel up to 3 hours in advance. Anything less than 3 hour notice will be considered a "no-show."
- If a student has 3 "no-shows" (aka three missed appointments), the student's WC Online account will be locked. As long as they are not in the same course, a LARC staff member will notify the student and unlock the account.
- If a student misses three sessions of the SAME COURSE (e.g. three BIO 110 sessions), the rest of the schedule will be cancelled and a students account will remain locked.
- We at the LARC try to provide flexibility to students by allowing cancellations up to 3 hours in advance. We prefer that students stay home if they are feeling ill. If an emergency arises (e.g. illness that required a doctor's visit, car accident, funeral, etc.), please reach out to LARC staff and discuss having the appointment cancelled after the fact. HOWEVER, same day cancellations should be rare and reserved for illness or other emergency.
- If a student cancels same day 3 times, the account will be locked and LARC staff will reach out to see if the student still wants tutoring for that course.
- If a student cancels same day 4 times, they will lose the weekly tutoring appointment but can still make individual appointments when needed.
What are students saying about our tutors?
- "[Basile] I had the opportunity to ask questions and work on what I needed to with extra help and explanations from Basile."
- "[Niajah] she knows what she is talking about. She is able to demonstrate lessons and how things work in [biology] on the whiteboard, and high makes it easier to understand."
- "[Lindsay's] strengths [are] being able to explain step by step how to complete chem math equations. She was great and I was able to be successful in the course due to her."
- "[Mathew] did an amazing job going over the material! He knows how to effectively give examples ."
- "[Abigail] I felt comfortable expressing any confusion I had and she helped me to understand the chemistry concepts way better. She listened to my questions really well."
- "Lillian is amazing! She tries to help with anything she can. She is so smart and I would not have succeeded in this class without her. "
- "[Alexa] is a great listener, very kind, is great at helping you understand ways that are easier for you even if it's different from her preferences."
- "[Ethan] Love how he makes you think about your answers. Honestly would be a good teacher - I approve! Also will send my friends to him!"
*Quotes taken from Spring 2023 anonymous tutor evaluation surveys.